Friday, August 3, 2012

Okinawa, Day 1

I'm exhausted y'all! Steve and I finally made it to Okinawa last night, basically 24 hours ago. Our day started early with homemade omelets made by David that were yummy! Sadly David then had to leave for work, but we headed out to enjoy our first day in Oki.Steve says, "David made me some fancy coffee." Yoshi and Mogli (their dogs) needed a walk so we headed down to the sea wall and enjoyed the beautiful view. Lots of surfers were out this morning. Next we had to take care of some business at the base so we can come back to the U.S. when we want and then we also needed to get  some Yen.

Family mart was another of our stops because Cess and I are snackers so we needed to get some food for our day trip north to Nago. I got a japanese salad and dressing, onigiri (a rice tuna sandwich), beef korokke, chips, and Haagen-Dazs cookies and cream ice cream! All was yummy believe it or not!

Finally we began our Japanese touring at Pineapple Park! This park is sooooo funny and strange. It's a tourist attraction for the Japanese. You ride in a golf car with half of a huge pineapple thing on top of it while listening to some lady tell you about pineapples. Then you get off and go inside to rooms that have TONS of seashells for absolutely no reason considering it's a pineapple park, not a seashell park. After the crazy seashell galleries (yes there were multiple rooms of seashells), we came to the pineapple wine making. This was pretty sweet. Then we came to the best part: taste testing! We tasted many pineapple wines, cookies, cakes, chocolate, and vinegar. They also had items made from the leftover parts of pineapple such as soap, perfume etc. And of course we had fresh pineapple! YUM! Steve tried a purple sweet potato custard pastry puff, that I thought was nasty, but he said it was, "cho-oishi" which means "very delicious."

We left pineapple park and headed to the Oki Aquarium or ocean expo park. This was by far the coolest aquarium I have been to which includes the Newport Aquarium, the VA Beach Aquarium, the Mystic Aquarium, and probably more. It was raining and we forgot our raincoats. That thankfully was not a problem because here they have little umbrellas for you to take at the entrance, then you return it when you get inside and at the next door there are more for you to use, but you always return them. Loved it! This aquarium has the largest water areas and huge fish. The largest was a whale shark. We could even go above and look down in the huge tank. Dolphins, manatees, and turtles were also at the aquarium.

Time for dinner! We ate a a sushi go-round where I ate some sushi! My sushi though was not raw fish, I had one with shrimp and the rest were seafood-less. It was okay to me. Steve LOVED it! Dessert was at Yogurt-land and then we walked around American Village, specifically in the macman (pronounced make-man) which is a home depot for the most part. The appliances and furniture are much smaller here.

Oh and I forgot to mention that there was a Baskin Robbins in Guam, although it was on base. AND there are multiple Baskin Robbins here in Okinawa, Japan! I cannot believe it, I'm so thrilled! I don't have one in Groton, CT, but I get one here in Okinawa, Japan. Imagine that! We will be going to BR tomorrow since Yogurt-land was dessert tonight.

In case you have heard of the typhoon coming Monday, they are not a big deal here because the buildings are all concrete. The Okinawan's go about their normal business and grocery shopping when typhoons come so please do not worry. :)

Comments and questions are always welcome :)


No comments:

Post a Comment