Monday, July 30, 2012

Okinawa, here we come!

Hey! I decided to write about our adventure to Okinawa. It began July 27th with a 4 hour drive to the McGuire Air Force Base in New Jersey. From there we were blessed to get on the first flight we tried for the Hickam Air Force Base in Hawaii. That was a 10 hour flight. After two nights we got a flight to Guam and are enjoying a cheap hotel tonight hoping and praying we get on the flight to Kadena with 40 tentative seats. Pray for us please!

Hawaii presented us with our first disappointment in Space A travel although it was a nice disappointment (oxymoron, I know). We spent two nights, one day on Oahu and loved it! Oh for all those who travel Space A, if you are ever stuck in Hawaii call this number to get a very cheap hotel rate (the airport does not give you the number and neither do the military hotels that are full): 1-800-279-0126. This is a great way to save you money when you don't know how long you'll be there. Granted you may end up with two twin beds like we did, but it was well worth it. Also, rent a car because it is cheaper than 2 taxi rides!

We rode a KC10 on the way to Hawaii. While we were stuck in Hawaii, we went to Duke's Canoe Club to eat per the advice of our friend Kevin R., walked on the beach and enjoyed a gorgeous drive out to Haleiwa on the north shore where we watched a beautiful sunset. We happened to be in Haleiwa during their music festival. When I say music festival, I use the term loosely; it consisted of a restaurant with a live band out back and other random groups of people playing music. One 11 year-old boy was twirling a fire stick (for lack of correct term right now) and doing it quite well!

On our way to Guam, we rode a KC135.  It was awesome, but oh sooooo cold!  I had a sweatshirt, slipper socks, and a wool blanket, but was still freezing. And just so everyone really knows how cold it was, Steve was cold AND he admits it! We sat on the sides of the plane facing in, so take off was different/fun because we had to use our abs/obliques, or hold on so we didn't fall on the guy next to us. Luckily, Steve was on my left so I didn't really have to do much at all.

After arriving in Guam, we rented a car for super cheap and got a super cheap hotel room. Guam is MUCH cheaper than Hawaii for those who may not know. I mean seriously cheap. The hotel room is only $25 a night with a mini fridge/freezer, microwave, desk, 2 twin beds, 2 comfy chairs, and a bathroom of course. We will be waking up tomorrow bright and early to try and catch our flight to Okinawa! Pray for us please!

Comments are always welcome!
Pictures later when I'm not too tired to upload them to the computer.

Please excuse any misspelled words, typos, run-on sentences, for my body and mind are not used to all the 4 different times zones I have been in the last week or so (including our Arizona trip).


No comments:

Post a Comment